175A MOUNTED ARMOUR FOR THE ‘JOUSTS REAL’ IN THE SPANISH STYLE OF CIRCA 1500-10, MAINLY 19TH CENTURY WITH SOME EARLY 16TH CENTURY ELEMENTS
of great weight, comprising helm with rounded one-piece skull rising to a low medial comb,
shaped to the nape, extending downwards over the top of the backplate and fitted at each side
of the brow with a projecting sprung stud to engage a frog-mouthed visor and bevor formed in
two pieces joined by rivets just behind the vision-slit, the bevor gently shaped to the chin and
extending downwards over the upper part of the breastplate to which it is attached by bolts,
and its right side fitted with a hinged trapdoor closing a large rectangular ventilation-hole;
breastplate formed of a medially-ridged main plate fitted at the top of its right arm-opening with
a projecting flange and at its centre with a fixed reinforcing breastplate through which protrude
at each side five pierced staples, retaining at the right a large rigid openwork lance-rest, and at
the left, an even larger openwork frame fitted with studs to support a shield, and the lower
edge of the main plate fitted with a waist-plate bearing at its left side a large loose ring to
support the bridle-arm and flanged outwards at its lower edge to receive a fauld of two lames,
the lower edge of which retains on a pair of turning-pins at each side a medially-ridged one-
piece tasset, the left longer than the right, and both cut away in a curve over the crotch;
backplate formed of a central main plate that narrows to its lower end and two side-plates (the
right patched at its lower end) rigidly connected to one another by rivets and overlain at their
lower ends by a tall plackart formed at its upper end with three cusps and fitted within its lower
edge with a culet of two lames; a pair of spaudlers each of three lames overlapping outwards
from the second and boxed in six vertical panels, its fifth lame attached by a single rivet to a
fully articulated tubular vambrace boxed
with the spaudler, fitted at its upper end with a
one-piece turner, at its elbow with a winged couter of five lames open at the rear and
decorated on the front of the wing of its two-piece main plate with a spray of flutes in the
‘gothic’ fashion, and at the upper end of the outer plate of the lower canon with a flange
shaped to the base of the couter (the inner plates of both lower cannons patched); an
asymmetrical wooden shield curving forward at its upper and lower ends, pierced towards its
outside with a pair of large lace-holes, faced with overlapping rectangular plates secured in
each case by a single nail and covered elsewhere with red velvet; a conical vamplate decorated
peripherally within a recessed border with scallops; a wooden saddle covered overall with
quilted crimson velvet (worn) decorated around its edge with a yellow fringe and faced on its
upstanding bow and cantle with three saddle-steels in each case, those of the bow stepped at
the right side and those of the cantle projecting at their upper corners as curved arms; two
stirrups (not a pair), each with slightly flaring fluted sides and a tread of four bars, the two inner
bars in one case writhen (each pitted and worn); a curb-bit of tinned iron with simple pierced
and engraved ornament and fitted with later bridle of leather covered with crimson velvet
edged with gold piping and decorated at intervals with rosettes and scrolls of gold braid; and an
heraldically-decorated caparison of yellow fabric strips each faced with black velvet (now largely
faded to green) and terminating in tassels of gold bullion
See note at front of catalogue for information concerning stands.
Sixth Count of Asalto, Guadamur Castle, near Toledo, circa 1887.
Ambrose Monell, Tuxedo Park, NewYork, before 1911.
Henry Furmage, London.
George F. Harding Jr, Chicago, purchased 1927.
Transferred to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1982, Acc. Nos 1982.2216; 1982.2697a-h 1982.
2879a & b; 1982.3110; 1982.3113; and 1982.3143a & b.
The horse bit: His Imperial Highness, Archduke Eugen, Veste Hohenwerfen, Salzburg, sold
Anderson Galleries, NewYork, 4 March 1927, lot 932.
Loan Exhibition of Arms and Armor
, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New
York, 1911, p. 10, pl. VII.
The main and side-plates of the backplate, the turner and cannons of each vambrace and the
stirrups are all of early 16th century date. The horse-bit is probably of 17th century date.
Courtesy of the Art Instutute of Chicago
Courtesy of the Art Instutute of Chicago